Neurology is the diagnosis and management of diseases of the nervous system. This can include diseases affecting the brain, muscles, nerves and the spinal cord.
Sevenoaks Medical Centre has a team of neurologists available to assist with the diagnosis and management of a range of neurological disorders.
From a lack of feeling in the arms or legs to a complete loss of motor function, neurological disorders take different forms dependant on where they affect the nervous system.
Neurological diseases we cover include:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Myasthenia – neuromuscular junction disorders
- Myopathies – neuromuscular disorders that cause muscle weakness
- Neuropathies – an abnormal and often degenerative state of the nervous system
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal cord compression
- Spinal cord tumours
Symptoms vary from poor memory, limb weakness and numbness, headaches, blackouts, dizziness and speech problems to back pain, bladder problems, sciatica and tremors.
We approach the diagnosis of neurological disorders comprehensively. Utilising a detailed neurological history and examination. This is done in conjunction with specialised investigations including MRI scanning and neurophysiological testing. This involves testing the electrical function of the brain, spinal cord and the nervous system located in different limbs and muscle groups.
ELECTROMYOGRAPHY AND NERVE CONDUCTION STUDIES (EMG & NCS)
These tests are designed to evaluate the peripheral nervous system. They are useful when diagnosing neurophysiological conditions, including:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome – nerve compression in the hands, which can cause pain or a loss of sensation
- Guillain Barre Syndrome – muscle weakness, numbness and tingling in the face and limbs
- Peripheral neuropathy – damage to nerves which can impede movement or cause a lack of sensation in limbs
- Ulnar neuropathy – tingling in the hands and arms aggravated by pressure or fluid on the Ulnar nerve
- Nerve injuries – damage to nerves which causes pain or difficulty in regulating movement
These tests allow us to confirm the presence of nerve root lesions (cervical and lumbar radiculopathy) and help to identify muscle disorders.
The tests also help to identify the location and potential cause of neurological disturbances. Diagnosis allows a decision to be made about the patient needing surgery. Our expert neurologists will continue to advise on the management of the neurological disease.
VISITING SEVENOAKS MEDICAL CENTRE FOR NEUROLOGY TREATMENT
Discovering or suspecting that you are suffering from a neurological condition can be a stressful and upsetting experience. We aim to alleviate that stress as much as possible by arranging an appointment with our consultant neurologists as soon as we can. Ideally, this will be on the same or next day following your call, allowing us to diagnose the issue and move onto treatment quickly.
Management of a neurological condition is tailored to specific patient care, focussing on the individual needs you have.
Our goal is reaching the best possible resolution. This might be the complete treatment of a condition or taking the steps to assist in managing a neurological disorder effectively.
If you need more information about the Neurology services at Sevenoaks Medical Centre or want to arrange an appointment, please call 01732 775 800 or use the online booking form.